February 10, 2012

Handmade Holidays: Valentine Cards

I never agreed with Valentine's Day, well at least not the monsterosity it has become today. Traditionally, Valentine's Day was a day in which lovers expressed their feelings for each other with flowers, sweets, and valentine cards. The day was associated with romance and courtship. Unfortunately, now it is a day associated with competition, unpersonal expensive dinners, and meaningless sex. How I long for the days of romantic picnics, handmade valentines, and I love you parties.

I am taking a stand and reclaiming my Valentine's Day back from the industry holiday it has become. First up is Valentine's Day cards and since there are enough television character cards to go around why not create some handmade ones for that special someone in your life.

What you'll need:
  • Assorted paper goods: Cardstock, decorative paper, cardboard, clip art images, stickers, and whatever else your imagination can conjure up
  • Scissors, both decorative and regular, and an X-acto knife
  • Pencil and Marker {color is your choice}
  • ModPodge or whatever decoupage glue you use
  • Sponge brush
  • Glue gun
  • Optional: Rhinestones, glitter, or ahything else that sparkles
  
Next decide on a theme and plan out the design you want to create. I knew my theme had to be Pirates and Hearts because they are my two unemotional loves in life. I started by free handing a heart the old fashion way by folding a paper in half and drawing half of a heart. I then cut out the half heart and traced it onto cardstock. This was the platform of my card. I then let my imagination take off and in the end I had three spectacular pirate valentine cards for my two nieces and nephew.
I hope your handmade valentines ARRRR a hit and if you need a helping hand along your voyage feel free to contact me. Have a happy hearts day. With love, Rozy

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...